fan club

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Fear is lack of knowledge

So right now we are reading in the B.O.M. about Samuel the Lamenite. He prophesied to the Nephites that they needed to get their act together and that a savior was coming. Well only 5 short years later, Jesus Christ was born. I thought about President Hinkley's last message to us: Get your food storage together, get ready! It's only been one year and already we've had a hurricane, a housing crisis, and now the $700 billion bank bailout, to name a few. (We bank at Washington Mutual!! But we can't close our account until our tax refund -don't ask- is direct deposited!) I don't know about you folks but I think he meant it! If you are like me and don't exactly know where to start with getting prepared, I'm posting my food storage list. This is a basic one year supply for one person. I would suggest buying more if you can since most of us have more than one person in a household. Keep in mind it's bare essentials, no luxuries. (i.e. toilet paper, peaches, cheese) I taped mine to my pantry door and just check them off as I buy them. It certainly gives me piece of mind knowing I'm doing something. It will be interesting to see what General Conference talks will bring. Good Luck all!

JANUARY
Week 1: 50 lbs Wheat
Week 2: 10 lbs Sugar or Honey
Week 3: 15 lbs Legumes (pinto beans)
Week 4: 3 qts Cooking Oil
FEBRUARY
Week 1: 25 lbs Rice & 25 lbs Flour
Week 2: 10 lbs Powdered Milk
Week 3: 10 lbs Sugar or Honey
Week 4: 50 lbs Wheat
MARCH
Week 1: 8 lbs Salt (5 canisters @ 26 oz)
Week 2: 15 lbs Legumes (White Beans)
Week 3: 50 lbs Spaghetti
Week 4: 10 lbs Sugar or Honey
APRIL
Week 1: 50 lbs Wheat
Week 2: 3 qts Cooking Oil
Week 3: 15 lbs Legumes (Split Peas)
Week 4: 10 lbs Sugar or Honey
MAY
Week 1: 50 lbs Wheat
Week 2: 12 lbs Powdered Milk
Week 3: 50 lbs Rice
Week 4: 10 lbs Sugar or Honey
JUNE
Week 1: 3 qts Cooking Oil
Week 2: 50 lbs Oats
Week 3: 15 lbs Legumes (Soy Beans)
Week 4: 10 lbs Sugar or Honey
JULY
Week 1: 50 lbs Wheat
Week 2: 3 qts Cooking Oil
Week 3: 10 lbs Sugar or Honey
Week 4: 50 lbs Rice
AUGUST
Week 1: 15 lbs Legumes (Kidney Beans)
Week 2: 10 lbs Sugar or Honey
Week 3: 50 lbs Wheat
Week 4: 8 lbs Salt (5 canisters @ 26 oz)
SEPTEMBER
Week 1: 50 lbs Flour
Week 2: 15 lbs Legumes (Pinto Beans)
Week 3: 10 lbs Powdered Milk
Week 4: 10 lbs Sugar or Honey
OCTOBER
Week 1: 50 lbs Oats
Week 2: 3 qts Cooking Oil
Week 3: 10 lbs Sugar or Honey
Week 4: 50 lbs Macaroni
NOVEMBER
Week 1: 15 lbs Legumes (Red Beans)
Week 2: 3 qts Cooking Oil
Week 3: 10 lbs Sugar or Honey
Week 4: 25 lbs Rice & 25 lbs Flour
DECEMBER
Week 1: 15 lbs Legumes (Split Peas)
Week 2: 3 qts Cooking Oil
Week 3: 10 lbs Sugar or Honey
Week 4: 50 lbs Wheat

5 comments:

  1. I got these instructions from the Blogger Help Center:
    Embedding a YouTube Video

    To embed a video from YouTube, just copy the code from the "Embed" box on the video's YouTube page. You can find the "Embed" box in the "About This Video" box when you're watching the video. You can also get the code from the "Embed HTML" box on the "Edit Video" page if the video belongs to your YouTube account.

    To embed a YouTube video within a blog post, first click "Edit HTML" from within the post editor. Next, paste the video's code into the body of your post. That's it!

    Let me know if you still need help after this, but it's pretty easy, I am sure you'll get it.

    Also, thanks for posting your list, it will help me out. Tucker and I have been buying things here and there but we could definitely do better. I have been watching some of the videos mom has from Roger K. Young regarding the last days and it has been motivating me to keep preparing. Something Roger said that I really like is "there is no such thing as late preparation." Macey's has cases of canned vegetables (like corn and green beans) on sale for $11 (they are originally $21). And we stocked up on instant oatmeal at Smith's for a $1 a box. Keep up the good work and good luck with the Youtube video. I desperately hope this means you will be posting UFC Champ, Dan the Man's video.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I finally made it to your blog! It rocks!!! I would just like to say that fear is also a lack of faith and preparation. Thankfully, we have been given the faith and the tools we need to get the job done. Keep up the good work! Luv, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. One more thing. I like what Dr. Steven E. Jones said about preparation. (I think he is repeating what someone else said.) He expressed, "The end is not yet. We must learn to cope".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey I am so glad you posted this I have been trying to get organized to do this - your idea about putting it on the pantry is really going to help. I am am actually starting with our 72 hour kit do you know where I can get a good list for that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dan and Carolyn, this is one of your many cousins Jill Edde Lobdell. Please check out my blog as well. I love your blog. Please keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete