fan club

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Book Club

I like living nestled up to the mountains. I like families of deer passing through my yard and spotting rams on the foot hills when we drive to school in the morning. But I don't like not having a library. I especially don't like paying $80 to use the library less than ten minutes from my house. But I paid it. so Caden could go to story time. (apparently the library is getting wise to freeloaders and is now registering for story time.) Now to make the most of my recent purchase, I am going to review some of the books we check out.

I always go with 3 tried and true books from my youth, one for Judey, and then I let Caden peruse the shelves and pick the one that catches his eye. And so far, he has done well!
Tudley Didn't Know by John Himmelman. A most darling book about a turtle unaware of his limitations. I love the message it teaches kids - you can accomplish more than common belief. The illustrations are beautiful and the biology section in the back is a plus!
I Used To Be the Baby by Robin Ballard. I know we all have read make way for baby books, but I felt this one was different. It focuses less on the displacement of the older child, and more on his new important role as big brother. With specific scenarios where he can be involved, each presented an opportunity for discussion that Caden was a willing participant in! Reading this was eery. Like Robin Ballard has been peeking through our windows, pen to paper. But Caden adored it.
well, I'll be back with more goodies for you to check out with your little ones.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, thank you for sharing good books. We go to the library every week and fill a bag up with books and movies. Mostly I'm the one picking because the boys are going nuts running around. I'm excited to try your suggested readings!
    p.s. Its been too long since we've seen you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello daughter, Thanks for reminding me about Dean's Mother Goose Book of Rhymes. I just went to eBay and scored another one for $28.99 with free shipping. I can't believe that some are selling for close to $100 and some for much more than that! I also bid on another one so we'll see what happens. In any case, I now have a copy for Gramma's house!

    ReplyDelete